Dog DNA Test
Have you ever wondered about getting a DNA Test done for your dog? Most people do it to find out what breed their dog belongs to. The dogs on which the test is done are therefore, mainly belonging to mixed breeds. Doing a Dog DNA Test has been quite a vogue since some time now.
So, we see a lot of dog owners asking many questions about the effects of DNA tests, what kind of test is the best, etc. This article will deal with many questions pertaining to Dog DNA Test. We think that giving this a read will brief you on the matter and will be able to satisfy your curiosity.
Top Dog DNA Test
- Features the largest breed database of any dna test in the world with more than 250 breeds, types and varieties covered
- The only officially licensed canine dna test in the us to offer the potentially life-saving mdr1 drug sensitivity screening at no extra charge
- Identification of purebred ancestors present in the first three generations (to the great grand-parent level)
- Pre-paid shipping to the lab and results are ready in only 2-3 weeks after the sample arrives
- With a simple cheek swab, you can uncover dna-based insights that may help you understand your dog's unique appearance, behaviors and wellness needs
- BREED DISCOVERY: With a simple cheek swab, Embark uses the most accurate breed identification scientifically possible. The Embark Dog DNA Test Kit tests for over 175 dog breeds, even wolf, coyote, and village dog ancestry. Together these breeds cover over 98% of canines in America.
- GENETIC ANCESTRY: The Embark Dog DNA Test can tell you the maternal and paternal group that your dog has in his or her ancestry back to great grandparents. See how closely your dog resembles other Embark dogs with the same gene traits, even if their breed mix is different!
- HEALTHY AGING: Embark tests for over 160 diseases. With our comprehensive genetic testing, you can better plan for healthy aging, with information on everything from genetic diseases to drug sensitivities. Keep your dog healthy longer by testing for genetic diseases that occur later in life including glaucoma, degenerative myelopathy, and dilated cardiomyopathy, three of the most common adult onset diseases in dogs.
- RESULTS: Built by experts, Embark is partnered with Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine; is certified by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals; and is trusted by professional dog breeders and veterinary hospitals. With over 20 times more genetic information than any other test on the market, the Embark DNA test gives you the most comprehensive picture of your dog's genetic health and ancestry.
- TRAITS: Embark results will tell you information on traits that range from coat color to altitude adaptation. Where other tests just tell you the breeds in your dog, Embark looks at the genetic basis of appearance to explain why your dog looks the way it does.
- HEALTH SCREENING - Screens for 150+ genetic health conditions over 13 body systems.
- BREED DETECTION - Identifies 250+ breeds, types and varieties - the most of any test on the market! The more breeds the better the accuracy.
- EASY AS 1-2-3 - Swab your dog, activate your kit, mail it in!
- FREE SHIPPING - FAST RESULTS - Free shipping to the lab and results in only 2-3 weeks.
- TESTED AND PROVEN - More than 850,000 tests run on dogs from around the world.
- DO YOU NEED TO DISCUSS YOUR DOG'S BACKGROUND WITH YOUR VET? Because we offer an accurate percentage of the certified dog breeds found in your dog's DNA sample, the results can be used as a handy guide when you need to discuss the associated health risks and personality traits of your dog's breed and background with a veterinarian.
- THINKING OF ADOPTING THAT ADORABLE MUTT IN THE SHELTER? Yet you're unsure of it's dog breed. Well, DNA testing can help you understand the mutt you're about to adopt. In fact, some shelters offer DNA testing in an effort to help rescued dogs find their forever homes.
- TRAINING YOUR DOG? It's common knowledge that some dog breeds respond to training better than others. Knowing your dog's unique personality traits can help you come up with the best training strategy.
- DOES YOUR DOG HAVE PREDISPOSED DISEASES? In just under a minute, you can use the Find My Pet DNA kit to collect samples, send it to us and we'll get you the results you need in just 3 weeks. Once you receive the results, discuss with your veterinarian about your dog breed's predisposed diseases. DNA testing can help you stay one step ahead in terms of your dog's health and well-being.
- With a simple cheek swab, you can uncover DNA-based insights that may help you understand your dog's unique appearance, behaviors and wellness needs
- MDR1 testing; Direct testing for the mutant MDR1 gene (multi drug sensitivity); Results can assist in the prevention of serious adverse drug reactions
- Adult weight range prediction to help you make appropriate nutrition and diet choices
- Breed insights to help you provide a better training program, understand behavior
- You will be emailed an official Ancestry Report revealing your dog's a genetic background
- BREED DISCOVERY: With a simple cheek swab, Embark uses the most accurate breed identification scientifically possible. The Embark Dog DNA Test Kit tests for over 250 dog breeds, even wolf, coyote, and village dog ancestry.
- FAMILY TREE & ANCESTRY: The Embark Dog DNA Test will tell you your dog's family tree all the way back to great-grandparents. Embark also shows other dogs of similar breed mix to your pup. You can explore their profiles and photos and see how much they resemble your dog!
- DISCOVER YOUR DOG'S RELATIVES: Find and connect with other dogs that share DNA with yours, including distant and close relatives! Only Embark will give you a percentage of shared DNA between your dog and others that have been tested with Embark. Doggy DNA Relative Finder free with purchase.
- HEALTHY AGING: Embark tests for over 165 diseases. With our comprehensive genetic testing, you can better plan for healthy aging, with information on everything from genetic diseases to drug sensitivities. Keep your dog healthy longer by testing for genetic diseases that occur later in life including glaucoma, degenerative myelopathy, and dilated cardiomyopathy, three of the most common adult-onset diseases in dogs.
- FAST, TRUSTED RESULTS: Built by experts, only Embark is partnered with Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine and is trusted by veterinary hospitals. Results generally between 2-4 weeks.
- DNA TEST KIT FOR DOGS- The Orivet Health Screen is an effective DNA test kit for dogs. It screens for diseases and traits and does the Orivet proprietary algorithmic analysis for your pet based on age, weight, breed, lifestyle, and location.
- EFFECTIVE PET CARE- With the Orivet Health Screen's ability to understand your dog's ancestry and health risks, you can easily team up with your veterinarian to create a personalized wellness plan for your dog.
- LIFE PLAN INCLUDED - This dog DNA test kit also comes with a personalized Life Plan which you can show to the veterinarian to implement a customized wellness plan for your pet.
- CLASSIFY HEALTH RISKS - Since this DNA test kit screen your dogs for dozens of genetic diseases and traits it helps you prepare a health plan for your pet. Health risks are also classified based on likelihood and impact. It also predicts adult weight and lifetime monitoring.
- OTHER BENEFITS - Buying this DNA screening kit for your dog will help you communicate better with your pet's veterinarian. You will also find it easier to help maintain your dog's health with the screening alerts and reminders feature of this product.
- Easy-to-use at-home kit, no membership required. Personalized ancestry reports based on your DNA ready in about 6-8 weeks.
- Now with 1,000+ geographic regions - the most comprehensive genetic ancestry breakdown on the market.
- Learn even more than your ancestral regions - discover your ancient ancestry and trace their migration with just one DNA test
- First consumer DNA test to offer a breakdown of your ancestry with results becoming more refined as our database continues to grow
- Subject to 23andMe's Terms of Service at 23andme.com/tos and Privacy Statement at 23andme.com/privacy
- Genetic assessment designed to help you understand what your superpowers are.
- Categories include: strength, intelligence, speed.
- Contains 6 genes including: cardiac output (ACE), muscle force (ACTN3), learning ability (Chromosome 6), language ability (FOXP2), bone strength (SOST), and muscle mass (VDR).
- DNA Kit includes easy-to-follow instructions, cheek swab, and prepaid return envelope.
- Register online or download Orig3n's LifeProfile app and receive a personalized, in-depth report in 2-3 weeks with your unique genetic profile.
- We never share, sell, or use your genetic information for any reason. We process samples directly in our own CLIA Certified lab and we send results directly back to you.
- Includes Ancestry Service PLUS more than 85 DNA-based online reports on Health Predispositions*, Carrier Status*, Wellness & Traits with just one test
- Before purchasing, review important information at 23andme.com/test-info
- Subject to 23andMe's Terms of Service at 23andme.com/tos and Privacy Statement at 23andme.com/about/privacy
- Accurate, reliable reports developed and designed through a rigorous process by world-class scientists and medical experts
- Provide a saliva sample using our at-home kit and send it back. No additional lab fee required. Results ready in about 6-8 weeks
- Most Relevant Canine Health Test
- Quick & Painless with simple cheek swab
- Create your pet's personalized life plan. No two are the same
- Comprehensive Plan gives your pet the highest quality of life
- Highlights the main health risks that you and your veterinarian should be aware
- The Find My Pet dog breed test identifies 100% of the AKC certified dog breeds found in your dog's DNA, the results can be used as a handy guide when you need to discuss the associated ailments and personality traits of your dog's breed and background with your vet.
- Extensive AKC Breed Database Recognized and respected worldwide, the AKC is the foremost authority. Our dog DNA test will allow you to know your dog's unique personality traits and help you come up with the best training and parenting strategies.
- Does your dog have predisposed ailments? In just under a minute, you can use your Find My Pet DNA kit. Send it in and you'll get the results you need in just 3 to 4 weeks. Once you receive the results, discuss with your vet about your dog breed's predisposed ailments. DNA testing can help you stay one step ahead in terms of your dog's health and well-being. INCLUDES TELOMERES GENETIC AND DNA BREED TESTS
- Do you really know your dog's age? Now Included Canine Genetic Age Test is designed to determine the biological age of your dog. Genetic or biological age is different than chronological or actual age in that genetic age gives insight into the predicted longevity of your dog from a cellular level.
- Telomere shortening is involved in all aspects of the aging process on a cellular level. Telomere length represents your dog's biological age as opposed to your dog's chronological age.
- Easy-to-use at-home kit via saliva swab sample. Personalized results based on your cat's DNA ready in 8-10 weeks.
- The world's first at-home feline genetic test to help you learn more about your cat's breed and wildcat breakdowns. Health and traits reports coming soon! Please note -- this is NOT a breed identifier (we can not confirm your cats pedigree) but we CAN tell you what breeds make up your cat and look for genomic similarities to existing breeds.
- Cats breed groups are broken down into 4 categories: Western breeds (from Europe/Americas), Eastern Breeds (from Asia), Hybrid breeds (from Wild Cat crosses), and Polycat (of yet unknown origin), and expanded into individual breeds. The report now also contains a chromosome painting (also known as chromosome mapping), so you can see which specific sections of your cat's chromosomes match with the different breeds and categories!
- Accurate, reliable reports developed + designed through a rigorous process by world-class scientists and veterinary experts. Although Basepaws is NOT a breed test, we use the most accurate breed identification scientifically possible to come to a Breed Index, showing which breeds make up your cat. Most other genetic tests only screen for "what is already known." Unfortunately, very little is currently known about cat genetics. We report on all currently available data + work on new discoveries!
- Celebrate the Mutt - Mixed breeds cats, or polycats, are a lot more unique than we think! There is a big world beyond just Domestic Short Hair. Let's us help you #GetToKnowYourCatBetter
Dog DNA Test
What is Dog DNA Test?
You might not have heard of DNA testing in dog earlier but it is pretty common among dog owners today. Just like humans, dogs too have DNA, also known as deoxyribonucleic acid. Every living thing contains a DNA which is unique in itself and can be used to identify genes, diseases, breeds, traits, etc.
Companies that deal with DNA testing in dogs, have a broad database where they have markers of genes or breeds of dogs. When they receive the DNA samples of your dog, they match it to their database to find out whatever information you need to know about your dog.
How much does a Dog DNA Test cost?
A Dog DNA Test can really be anything starting from $60 and shoot up. The pricing, as we have seen, depends all on the quality. By quality here, we mean that you will get the most accurate results if your pay a bit more money. This means that DNA tests are different from one another just like any dog products of different companies. These days many dog product brands have started to sell DNA testing kits. All of them mostly have cheek swab samples for testing.
There are also other DNA tests which are more professional so to say. They will require you to visit a veterinarian who can perform the test professionally with blood samples. But, if you want to go for a test kit that is readymade, then we would ask you to buy products from a company that has a large database. This will mean that there are a lot of records of dog breeds on that company’s database and the accuracy of the test will be more.
How to make use of a Dog DNA Test?
Dog DNA test kits might vary slightly from one another in their usage but the primary procedure is same. Here are the steps:
- First, you have to take out the testing swab from the packet very carefully so as not it come in contact with anything.
- The next step is to put the swab inside the cheek of your dog and let it stay there for about 20 seconds.
- The swab then needs to be placed in the insert section and left to dry for about 5 minutes.
- The whole process till now needs to be repeated with the second swab.
- Go online and activate the DNA test with the company from which you purchased the kit. You will be given a confirmation number which you have to write on the label number 1.
- This label then has to be put on the swab sleeve and left to dry after inserting them back into the box. Fight the urge to seal the swab in the cover as this will eliminate the chances of getting an accurate result.
- Pack the box properly and mail it. The results will arrive soon!
Why to do a Dog DNA Test?
With major strides taken in science and technology, DNA tests have become more detailed in the information they give to you. Dog DNA test will tell you a lot more than just the breed of your dog. Know about the possible benefits of a Dog DNA test below:
This is the most obvious result of a DNA test in dogs. Mostly done for dogs with a mixed parentage, a DNA test in such cases will tell you if your dog is a pre breed or not. Also, you can know what breed markers are there on your dog’s body in terms of percentage. Dog owners love to see the parentage of their dogs unravel.
A DNA test done on your dog will give you better information on the growth of your dog. A lot of dogs grow different than other dogs of the same breed. A Dog DNA Test will tell you what kind of growth you can expect. You will also know about the possible color of the coat, the performance of the dog, certain special body features, etc.
Prevention of diseases
Since Dog DNA tests also give information about certain diseases that particular breeds are prone to, you can prevent those illnesses in your pup. Knowing that your dog can have some diseases, you will be better equipped to watch out for symptoms at an early stage. This is not to mean that those diseases are inevitable but prevention is always better to keep your dog healthy.
What is better: a kit or a lab test?
If all you want to know from a Dog DNA Test is the breed of your pup, we will suggest that DNA kits work well in that case. But for more detailed information like body build, genetic mutations, illness history, etc, we are of the opinion that a professionally done DNA test at a Vet’s is better any day. You will have more faith on the latter.
Getting a Dog DNA Test kit is easy. All you have to do is figure out the company which you want to zero down on for the DNA testing of your dog. Then you buy a kit, test it on your dog, send the samples back, and wait patiently for the final results. And there you go! You have the information you need about your dog in no time.
Amazon Best Seller Products List Last Updated on 2019-07-15